Saturday, April 25, 2009

Vienna and Friedensreich Hundertwasser

Vienna is a city of great beauty from antiquity to these modern times. We've shown you many pictures of the older Vienna, now we move to a more contemporary artist:

"Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, born Friedrich Stowasser, (December 15, 1928 – February 19, 2000) was an Austrian painter, architect and sculptor. Born in Vienna, he became one of the best-known contemporary Austrian artists". Like "Cher" and "Siegy", he just goes by "Hundertwasser". Kim and I went for a long walk and documented a few of his sites... While we were very happy to see his influence; many Viennese seem to say, "ho hum...him again?"...or worse. Below are a few pictures, beginning with Kunst Haus Wien.

So sweet...
The front entrance..
This fountain was very cool; I want one just like it...
Another front entrance shot....
Below are a few pictures from Hundertwasserhaus village.


A very famous bathroom worth the .60 Euro they charged to enter.

Posted by Picasa






Posted by Picasa
Perhaps you'll remember an earlier blog where I wrote about Vienna's famous incinerator. This is it below, closer up; it is also a Hundertwasser. Can you spot the hat? It's his trademark--representing the style of hat he wore.



Posted by Picasa

This was a really fun day. Given the contrast between his buildings and other "traditional" buildings his art made us smile a lot . May I never think "ho hum" should I get to see them again in the future. Thank you.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I thoroughly enjoyed these -- a nice change of pace. I've always loved Klimt, so I like this esthetic as well. Why did they commission him to do the incinerator, I wonder? Was the answer "beret'? Thank you -- in general -- for this wonderful blog!! --Barbara C

Anonymous said...

Thank you for those. He was so fun! That kind of art makes me happy too. I also noticed the works of Klimt in the bathroom. I wonder who was inspired by whom, forgot my art history dates. Was Gustav older or younger?

Anonymous said...

That was me, nancy, forgot my password sorry