Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Alex.

It's that time of year. Graduation ceremonies abound. A couple of Saturday's ago, Kim and I attended the high school graduation of our dear, little Alex. On June 13th he turned 18; Kim and I were there when he took his first breath.

Alex has been attending a small private school in Seattle. They do many things differently at this school. Like attending class is optional--just deal with the consequences of not being there and perhaps missing important information. Parents are not to remind their kids about assignments or school responsibilities...that's between the school, teachers, and the student. CAN YOU IMAGINE THIS???? This approach teaches self responsibility, time management, and keeping track of priorities. CAN YOU IMAGINE THIS???

So, it should come as no surprise that their graduation ceremonies are also a little different from say, what you experienced.

All the grade levels and students were on the stage together.
There's our boy, Alex.
The graduates are required to write a credo--a "This I believe" statement.
Alex read his and my eyes became water works.
He wrote of appreciating his privileged life in this country and wanting to give back to the rest of the world. He wrote of wanting to help those impoverished in this country and the world.
He stated that he cares for others less fortunate.
He knows they are out there--he has seen them in his travels, and he
wants to help. He wants to be part of the solution.
The graduate chooses someone to introduce him. Here one of his instructors talks about Alex and shares his thoughts with the audience. Okay, this was one of those moments when you had to be there. His instructor compared Alex to Jesus. Like I said, you had to be there; made perfect sense at the time. Trust me.
Posted by Picasa
Alex doesn't walk on water, yet.
Then, people in the audience speak to Alex and share their thoughts. Here his mom, our good friend, Deb speaks to her son.
Dad Peter takes a turn.
It was harder than he thought it would be.
Posted by Picasa
Alex listens--to parents, friends, aunties, and teachers.
And Peter's sister tells us from whom Alex learned to be a good brother.
I must say, it was one of the most amazing ceremonies I have ever been to.
And now, a little familiar tradition.
Daaah, dah dee da daah duh....
Alex and girlfriend, Chloe.
Posted by Picasa
A proud mom reads his graduation certificate.
The class of 2010.
(I told you it was a small school.)
The Kahn's. Deb, Alex, Emma and Peter.
Dad, Peter, tossed this ball to Alex as he spoke to him in the ceremony.
Posted by Picasa

Alex's graduation day was one of the first rain free days we'd had in weeks.

I'd like to think that it was a good start to a new life, new journey and challenges.
As I see my life entering a point where I see and envision an end to a working career I feel such hope for the start of Alex's journey. He is such a kind, sweet young man. Can you imagine someone introducing YOU and comparing you to Jesus???

My brain can't even go there; but someone did when it came to Alex. Sure, he's not perfect (I believe Jesus threw a few tantrums) but I know that he is trustworthy and will always t r y to do the right thing. He'll pay attention, ask questions, make some blunders and will own his mistakes. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???

What fun it will be to watch.

No comments: