Friday, January 16, 2009

Transitions....

bye, bye Kim...

This morning at 4:40AM, I walked with Kim to the train station as she began her 20 hour journey heading to the US. While she is happily stopping in Boston to visit Siegy, the impetus for the journey is to go to Seattle to say good bye to a dear friend who has only days or (maybe) weeks to live. It's been a very odd experience being here in Italy transitioning into "La Vita Dolce" while life in Seattle for our friends has been a scary transition toward death and widowhood. Needless to say, Kim and I have had many conversations about timing, guilt, seizing the moment and the preciousness of life. To anyone who may be reading this, take your moment whenever you can, no matter how small; they all add up.

As I walked home through the dark, quiet little streets, I focused on each step and felt happy that I feel so comfortable in this Piedmonte town. Very few people were out and the ones who were, were men heading to what I believe are morning prayers. I don't think that we've ever mentioned that right across the cobble stone street where we live there is "The Islamic Cultural Center of Alessandria". One day I almost took a picture of their entrance and sign but thought better of it in that I didn't want them to think I was some type of spy or agent.
Given that it's a cultural center, there tends to be lots of activities, music, meetings, etc. The street often overflows with their parked cars and it's not uncommon to hear sounds, voices, music radiating from the center.

It's been very interesting to live by this center because every day there are many people going in and out often dressed in their cultural identity outfits. I do not say this negatively; just look at some of the pictures Kim and I have posted of our outer wear vs the Italian's sense of style. I just point it out because it's a big, noticeable contrast. The women do not wear burkas but do tend to have long dresses and their heads covered; some men wear very long beards. A few doors down there is a clothing, accoutrement store that I've never been in. I often stop and look in the windows at the long dresses, head scarves, caftans, etc. that are for sale.
Walking past the cultural center as well as the old cathedrals reminds me on a daily basis what a diverse world we reside in and the amazing challenges we face as the dichotomy chasms between religions present themselves. Every day I try to not blame myself for being confused about all of this battling over religious dominance and certitude. Who is right? HA! You tell me and there will be someone behind you just waiting to disagree; all quite maddening...

Alas, I have digressed, and so:

Continuing with my walk home, I pondered what I will be doing with myself over the next few days before I go to Vienna. My default reaction is to keep the shutters closed and hide out; part of my shyer nature. Rita somehow must have sensed this because last night she dropped by to say "buon viaggi" to Kim and let me know that today at an hour yet to be determined, we'll be cooking something that includes the oven exhaust fan. I say this because as she was gesticulating what she will be making (a dessert?) she kept going over to our little oven and pointing at the fan. After she left I asked Kim, "What am I doing tomorrow?" and she just smiled and replied, "I don't know".

I have straightened up the apartment the way Kim likes it and I went to the gym for an aqua fitness class. I walked to the post office and purchased a stamp for a letter to the US. This currently is my life in Italy these days and all and all I think it's been a good day. While neither Kim nor I imagined these scenarios of our each returning to America for visits, that's what has transpired "while busy making other plans".

No comments: