Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We Prepare To Give Thanks....at Work

Remember those turkeys from the last blog? Well, they've been moved about 10 blocks away to the King County Sobering Center where 1) there's a big kitchen area and 2) we'll be serving dinner to about 100 of our clients.
To prepare, we all signed up for tasks. Somehow I also was included in the cutting up the turkey task. What my mind thought the duty would entail and what it turned out to be were two very different things. I worked with my colleagues, Ysi and Jeff; Fred (far right) works at the Sobering Center. Working with the guys was interesting--the conversation was extremely varied. Only one time did I have to scream, "STOP IT!"
Our carving task really was shedding, tearing and breaking so that we'd end up with only meat--no bones. We divided the meat into dark and white tins.
There were 14 turkeys and this got really up close and personal on a level that after awhile led to not being so interested in eating turkey. Also, Fred grew up on a farm and it was at him that I was forced to scream "STOP IT!"
Posted by Picasa
Pull pull. Tear tear. Guys discuss topics that are very different from women's conversations.
Dark meat. Bird number 8, or 9 or 10....
I really did enjoy working with them.
By the end, I was the only one who didn't have juices all over the floor as well as bits of turkey. The guys took pride in some of their triumphs, I bested them in the neatness category.
Posted by Picasa
Afterwards, I mopped the floor and was very glad that I had worn my boots. Unfortunately, this picture didn't quite catch the juices image. Are you excited about your own Thanksgiving??? Stay tuned for the big event with our clients!

No comments: