Monday, December 21, 2009

Nursing Care....

Posted by Picasa

Today I did an outreach with one of my co-workers who was headed to provide nursing care to one of his clients. She lives under one of the Seattle bridges and has been dubbed "The Bird Lady" because she tends to take in pigeons and often can be seen with one perched upon her head; she is also always barefooted.

The day was cold and the wind whipping under the bridge made it fiercely cold and I felt as though I was in an alternate universe. We brought her and two of her birds to our van where my colleague (who is a nurse) worked on her leg and one of the bird's legs--it was broken, the bird's, not hers. But, she herself was bruised from a fall and quite uncomfortable. Another of the birds started flapping its wings all over the place so and I put my arm out to give it a place to perch while its family got nursing care.

It was very hard for me to leave that scene; surreal but very real.....

I never know what my day will bring.

PS Her bird's name is Davey Rebel Rainbow or Davey Rainbow Rebel...I'm not sure.

No comments: