Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Reach Retreat....

It's the season for holiday gatherings and celebrations. Our Reach Team took a day off today and went to a co-worker's home on Bainbridge Island. We began first thing this morning at the ferry terminal. The air was crisp and cool as the colors of a new day greeted us.
Commuters scurry to get to their jobs...
A beautiful full moon was also a morning greeting and treat...
We took four cars/vans. Here in the back seat are my new bosses--Kelley on the left and Chloe on the right. Clover, whom you've met before is in the driver's seat.
Posted by Picasa
Back seat co-workers.
I wasn't sure what to expect but quickly found that it was a day of just gathering together, eating and just having fun. For this group who deal daily with often painful and impossible situations, having down time is a must. In this group are colleagues who specialize in providing services to homeless men and women, homeless people with HIV/AIDS, & homeless Vets....Most of our clients have chronic, severe addictions and many are mentally ill. All of my colleagues are quite remarkable people.
Here is a picture I found of previous Reach staff, circa 1840....
Upon arrival, the food quickly came out and it was a day of noshing...
There also was a separate dessert table.
Posted by Picasa
Reach hors d'oeuvres.
Sitting around, talking, laughing, and eating.
Darlene, on the left was our host. She has such a warm, interesting house with great art and very comfortable furniture. Darlene works at the Sobering Center and is smart, wise, and a wonderful mentor. On the right is Karla who is a fierce client advocate, is funny and always happily shares her opinion.
Posted by Picasa
Karla has some pretty interesting tattoos and kindly accommodated me and my picture taking. Tattoos in my group are quite popular; I do believe it's a generational thing. I do believe my parents would have killed me if I'd done something similar.


Later we did a white elephant gift exchange. I a l m o s t ended up with a little tool/knife kit but it was not to be (I really wanted it) ...
View of Darlene's front property...
Posted by Picasa
A self portrait.
Posted by Picasa
All too soon it was time to head back to Seattle.
I always love the dinosaurs that guard & grace our waterfront.
Almost home.
As I got off the bus a 1/2 block from home, I spied this...I'd never seen it before.
Posted by Picasa
There's always something new to see, even close to home. This was a very good day.
Thanks.

No comments: