Sunday, March 6, 2011

Time to Say Goodbye....

Fremont Place Book Company is/was an small independently owned book store in the Fremont area of Seattle, WA. It was a successful business for 22 years.
Kim owned the store for 12 1/2 years; Henry has owned it for the past 6+ years.
Gabrielle, Henry's partner has been an integral part of the store.
This last week, Henry made the painful decision that the store 
is no longer viable and must close.  
On its last day, Kim joined Henry behind the counter, ringing up the throng of patrons....
Posted by Picasa
Hmmmmm.  Where have these folks been in the last months??
Henry takes it all in...it's a painful goodbye and ending.

Children's Section
The painful truth.
Posted by Picasa
Emptying shelves...
Good bye customer service--where they really did care.
This little rocker has been here almost 20 years!

Posted by Picasa
We Can't Turn Back....
 
While wandering the store and waiting for Kim, I looked
in the employees only section and this is what I saw.
 
More customer service just waiting to serve...
 
While Kim owned the store, I can't tell you how many hours I sat in this chair, waiting for her to finish whatever tasks so that we could head home.
 

Posted by Picasa
In Seattle, Fremont is a very popular destination.
 
A local landmark.
 
The clock was ticking.
 
This curtain hides the sink area.  Seeing it brought forth many memories.
 
Kim and one of her managers, Ann.
 
It's a huge loss to many people...
 
The wrapping paper keeps a strong upper lip.....
 
This store will be greatly missed. 
Technology, the pursuit of the cheapest price, corporate profits...
Makes me want to go home and curl up with a Kindle.
 
Posted by Picasa
I know. I know.
All things change and time does march forth. 
Change happens. 
Life goes on. 
Out with the old, in with the new. 
Adapt or get out of the way...
Yet, I still can't help but be a bit sad
for the passage of time
and 
some of the inevitable changes.
It was a great run!
Thanks!!

1 comment:

Steven Levery said...

So sorry to see. When I visited last April I saw that Horizon Books on 15th was all boarded up, and now this....pretty depressing for old school book shoppers like me.