Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year of Snacks.....


Posted by Picasa

December 31, 2008

And so it is New Years Eve and Kim and I have just returned from the gym after a gentle workout of stretching and weights. We're both easing back into it after trading a nagging cold/cough back and forth. While walking home I thought about this year and all that has occurred (see previous blogs for further elaboration!)and realized that 2008, among other things has been:

A Year of Snacking: Both Kim and I have allowed ourselves to buy and retain collectively snacks that we would not allow in the US. While we might indulge in one of the above periodically (plus gelato, not pictured, but an integral part of our diet), here in Italy they are part of our weekly shopping list (wine included). Will this change upon our return? You bet- but for now, yum!

A Year of Sleeping In: This one is a bit embarrassing given my many years of always being up (weekdays) between 4:45-7AM. It suffices to say, we have surpassed those hours by a long shot.

A Year that I Can Leave a Job, Be Unemployed and the World Doesn't Come to an End: Kim already had that one down....many, many jobs ago!

A Year to Live in Italy But Not Learn Italian: What can I say?? I forget to study. Both Kim and I understand a lot and can also read a fair amount but when it comes to speaking our minds, that's a difference story. Today, at the gym, Christiano, one of the trainers, approached me and began talking. Basically what he said is that he is very impressed with my understanding Italian and that he wouldn't understand any English if tables were turned. He went on to say that the most he does is speak a bit slower but that's it. He's noticed that we understand his directions in the water aerobics classes and the fact that I was totally following our current conversation left him giving me a thumbs up... Walking home as I thought about this, I concluded that it's really not a bad thing to not always be thinking of a response before the speaker finishes (like I often do with English) but it's nice to just listen and take in the words and leave them at that. And I can still be quite content understanding relatively little. Kim, on the other hand, DOES study but her anxiety when called upon to speak belies what she has in her head.

A Year to Have Neighbors Who Actually Like US: it has only been in the last two years that our closest (new) neighbors in Seattle even speak to us so we are loving the warmth of our neighbors here.

A Year To Learn About Prosecco: YUM!

A Year To Learn That I Don't Mind Anchovies....enough said.

A Year To Learn That Train Travel Makes For Great Life Metaphors: Little things like, always double check the schedule and destination. Don't make assumptions. Things don't always go as planned. With good problem solving skills, things ultimately work out just fine. Don't forget to use the bathroom before you leave. Have enough water with you (and a snack for emergencies)! Be patient. Sit back, relax and enjoy the view.

A Year To Believe That Someone I Vote For Can Win The Presidency! Yippee!!

A Year to Learn that Kim and I Can Live and Be Together Basically 24/7 and really do just fine--actually more than fine! This has been, as they say (maybe) in Italiano,
una cosa fantastica- a very good thing.

There are many other things that I could list but this is fine for now. Well, maybe just one more:
SOME DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE!

No comments: