Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sister Wendy Speaks....of Family.

It's been a whirlwind few days of visiting with Rachel's family--I must say that when they get together, it does get quite loud. There's so much laughter and bantering that it's hard for me to stay in a meditative state because it's fun to listen--never knowing what's going to come out of someones mouth.
But today we did step away for a few minutes to take a walk. Rachel took me to a place she loves to apologize to me. Yes, apologize. Last night she forgot to take me home (we were at her sister, Andela's home) and the next thing I knew, she had left. Well, even though I do love her family, I was surrounded by 6 of society's future and I knew I wouldn't be able to have my quiet time. So, thankfully, Rachel's cell phone was on and I called her just a bit miffed. Yes, I admit it; I did not show my normal Christianly patience. To Rachel's credit, she turned right around and came back to get me and as part of her penance, promised to take me out to a quiet place today.
Here is where we strolled. It was so peaceful and quiet. I listened to the birds singing and took in the fresh air (what there is of it--oxygen that is) and I was just enchanted. I caught Rachel humming a tune and when I asked her about it she told me that it was a local Albuquerque television program "jingle" from her childhood. It goes something like this:
"Riding down the trails to Albuquerque, saddle bags all filled with beans and jerky. Heading for K Circle B, TV ranch for you and me, K circle B in Albuquerque....yooooodle lay de oh, yooodle lay de oh, K Circle B in Albuquerque". (Praise be for long term memory!)
The trail...



After our quiet time, we headed over to sister Andela's for a gathering and celebration of baby sister Carol's birthday (June 21) and Father's Day. Here is a picture of her brother in law, Denis.
Denis works at the laboratory, is a computer genius, jack of all trades, and most importantly, a fine caring father, husband, and brother in law. (He also makes a mean brew--ooh, I've slid a bit on this trip!)

Here's Bill, her other wonderful brother in law and across the table is Dave, a good friend who lives across the street from her parent's home. Dave is so brave. He always is willing to come to
these Diaz family gatherings and shows no judgement over their wackiness.

An anxious group waiting for dinner. Yes, Rachel did cook. The platter was waiting for grilling kabobs. L) Sister Andie/Andela; daughter Elizabeth, Thomas, son of Carol (R) and Madison, a friend who tagged along with Carol's family. They hail from Carrolton, Texas, down the trail from Dallas.
Briana, niece and Andela and Denis' eldest, waiting for her dinner.

Look at those faces!

With dinner over, Carol works to put out her cake; my what flames! (always a reminder to be good!)
Later, Rachel rounded up society's future and had them pose. These are the cousins getting to know one another better. Three on the left, Elizabeth, Quintin and Briana are sibs. Thomas and Rachel are sibs. Oh, my, now to add a word about "Little" Rachel, "Old" Rachel's name sake. "OR" couldn't be prouder to have such a lovely niece named after her. And my, these future voters are all so tall! I caught Rachel musing, "but I was only gone for one year....")
Later, in the beauty of the sunset, the sisters got together for a pose. Left: Carol, Rachel ,Gloria (G L OR OOOOOO, OOOOOO, OOOOOREA; praise be! How I love that tune!) and Andela.
I overheard the brother in laws talking, saying that those Diaz girls are all soooo different, that it was amazing. How can children raised under the same roof be so different? I say, it is one of life's mysteries. But, I can tell you this, those girls care fiercely about one another and would be there
at a drop of a hat if they were needed. Rachel learned a lot about herself and family on this trip. Like with age, they can get better.
Amen. sw

No comments: