Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Blackberry Challenge...

So, the last post was August 6th...My, time flies when one goes to work every day for 8 hours and then tries to fit everything that needs to be done around, before and after those hours. In this last week I have pounded the pavements of downtown Seattle, gone to humbling "apartments" where many disenfranchised reside and made a barrage of phone calls to try to figure out resources.

I'm low kid on the totem pole, outside of my comfort zone. My head is swirling with taking in new information and bursting with, "I wonder how I'll do this, or that?" What does one do for the person who is addicted to multiple illegal and dangerous drugs, has many sores on their legs (abscesses), is a brittle diabetic, is anxious and depressed, can't sleep, isn't eating much, has dental pain and has lost 40 pounds in a few months? Well, I am slowly finding out!

I have the fantastic fortune to work with some amazing colleagues who are devoted to their work and are in the trenches of delivering services to very difficult and challenging populations of people. They are compassionate beyond belief, supportive of one another and totally irreverent which makes going to work something that I look forward to. During my interview, I was told that if I was sensitive to dark humor, this probably wasn't the place for me....It's also a place where we as employees must be very self motivated to accomplish our job; we have a tremendous amount of freedom with our comings and goings; no one is looking over our shoulders or micro managing us. We are not a clock punching group. I find that I get to the office around 7:30 AM and begin thinking about going home between 4:30 and 5:30 PM.

So in addition to spending my time in a cab (where the driver lowers all the windows because there's just a bit of a hygiene problem with my client) I've also spent time flipping burgers for an annual summer picnic for our client's. This is Madrona Park, a beautiful place along Lake Washington just a mile from my house. On the way to the picnic as we drove past my house, I silently felt so lucky and appreciative.

I've been to our local "sobering center" where I stepped around bodies sprawled on mats sleeping it off until morning where many will get up and start all over again. Some are finally ready to listen to my colleagues who gently try to talk them into going into treatment. (Note: To protect confidentiality, the pictures below are not pictures I have taken but are ones that I found on the internet that come very close to what I am seeing).


Success is measured by not being told to go away or by helping someone get some desperately needed housing. I am in a very different world and I like it. My last job of 16 years, "I did in my sleep" but now I am jarred awake, a bit panicked over how steep of a learning curve I am facing. But, I do believe that this is all good for me.

To address my not knowing the resources, I just call people and begin with a basic, "Hi, I'm brand new to this, know basically nothing about your services and wonder if you'd be kind enough to help me out?" I'm finding that it works fairly well. What hasn't gone as well is my learning to use a Blackberry, something we all carry and something I always thought would be great fun to have...Slowly I am learning and my younger colleagues who love the little devices have been very helpful. Today, while I washed dishes in our office a co-worker programed my ring tone to a nice quiet gong sound instead of the trilling ring....Everything is being dealt with in due time.

And what of acupuncture I am asked? Well, I am not giving it up, it's just on a temporary back burner until I get to feeling more confident with this new position. Hopefully, come October or so, I'll start seeing a few folks in my home office one day per week.

Gratitude abounds. I have a great job, wonderful co-workers, and get to wear jeans to work every day. When my day is over I return to a cozy little home and yard where I anticipate Kim's return from work while petting little Hermione who purrs about her day.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

No comments: