Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday in Seattle..

While in Europe, I was quite taken by doors. Here in Seattle, there are some nice ones too.

This is where I spend a few hours each Tuesday and Thursday. The buildings house two hotels and are just called, Lewiston/Scargo. The hotels are owned by a Seattle group, Plymouth Housing, which offers low cost single occupancy apartments to marginally functioning folks The buildings have case managers and housing/building managers to help them run smoothly. There are cameras everywhere and comings and goings are closely monitored. This is a big drug dealing area. I've had several conversations with some of my clients who discuss how hard it is to live so close to the devil and try to improve their lives at the same time. Hard stuff.
On my way to the Lewiston/Scargo I passed this little oasis in the city. Beautiful flowers and a nice fountain grace the courtyard of this condominium complex, just a block from L/S.
Posted by Picasa
Back at the office, one of my co-workers had a book filled with bumper stickers. This is a page that I randomly opened to. Many years ago, during a different lifetime, I was hanging out with folks in "Campus Crusade for Christ". For fun they would often ask a question and then open the Bible and read their answer on the page that randomly fell open before them. I asked no questions but did seem to get an answer anyway.
One of my co-workers has this sign up at her cubicle.
I find it to be good advice for a newbie like me.
Here's the full view.
Hooray, time to go home! This is my daily bus, #11. The young man on the right with the soccer ball was accompanied by three other young men. I can't imagine that they were older than 17; they surrounded me and I was immersed in their testosterone. They talked "plays" back and forth and said many things that I really didn't understand. At one point, one of the young men received a phone call and this is what I heard after he listened to his caller for a moment:

Young Man: "Hey man, you're really close. Remember that alley where you peed the other night? Well it's right around the corner from there".
Posted by Picasa

I'm thinking I know and have walked by that particular alley.
More later. I hope you're well and happy.

No comments: