Monday, June 16, 2008

And on the third day she rose....

Well other than to eat gelato, I really had been in bed a bunch. No one who knows me well- or knows my mother-would think ah she must have gotten a virus on the plane. No... it's just my way of coping as Rachel alluded to in the previous posting. But then Monday morning (after waking up at midnight for a rousing game of cribbage) something changed. All my questions, doubts, and MAJOR anxiety went POOF! And this occurred even after I said "Honey, what if this place is Everett?" (for those on the East Coast , think Bridgeport or someplace like that). And in her zenlike manner, which can be infuriating at times, Rachel replies you know, people live in Everett and probably like it a lot. After swearing under my breath, or maybe not that softly, I shut up. What did I know about this place really? Nothing at all except that a friend liked it a lot when she lived here for 2 years-which last month was good enough for me to plan my new life around. What was I now getting all snobby about? And when I thought a little more...where in Italy can you possibly go anymore where for the last 72 hours we have not heard anyone speak English? No Brits, no Americans, no Aussies, no Canadians ( and you know we would have heard those loud Canadians!). Not a soul except hotel people trying to communicate with us. And the blocks of Alessandrians on Sunday evening strolling with their families and friends, not going anywhere but happy to just be in the crowd. No big museums or walls of tourists, jut people living their lives. So in a few short hours we will sign a lease on the same little apartment where our friend Aurelie had lived for 2 years. Was this meant to be?? I'm beginning to think so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi gals; this is great I hope you continue to take us all with you.I love hearing it,it's as tho your right here in our house.Computers wow I take back everything I ever said about them.Peter and I played Racketball and we both agree you are probably in the right place.Just become a part of them and you will do fine.Find your favorite spots and continue to go back,you will become one of the family.Remember Rome wasn't built in a day.enjoy every minute,cause you do deserve this time.Love and hugs to you both.Toni xx

Barbara said...

Kim and Rachel: So wonderful to hear your thoughts at the very beginning of your adventure, they're so honest and so evocative. Dealing with jet lag (maybe over?), culture shock, language and currency shock, and sorting out all the logistics of a new apartment in a country you don't know -- it will indeed be an adventure. And it will take time but one day maybe even soon it will feel like home, and you will be speaking Italian! Savor every step, and I look forward to your next installment... Love, Barbara

Nandrello said...

If this helps, it took me two whole weeks to come out of jet lag and I was 10 years younger then. Your comparisons to Bridgeport I get. Your stories are my pleasure summer reading. Two big hugs O O.