Monday, June 23, 2008

Games and more games....


Games and more games.
To keep ourselves mentally challenged- ha!- (and to practice our numbers in Italian) we have been playing a lot of Cribbage. I quickly became tired of losing and was getting just a little crabby so Rachel suggested we play “Hollywood” instead. Hollywood is a game that my Dad taught me (an intricately scored version of gin rummy) and…I know when I’m being patronized… is suppose to be MY game. That is, to date, I am the holder of the US gold medal- of the under 85 year old set. Rachel is just the pathetic Uzbekistan 12th place finalist who in a fit of good luck has one good night in the Olympics and thinks she is hot shit forever. I remind her that the US doesn’t take well to upstarts from 2nd and 3rd world countries and that she will be reduced to size by morning.
Ohhh say can you see by the dawn’s early light?? (I hope you are picturing me on the podium)
Have I mentioned that for whatever reason, my girlfriend can memorize hundreds and hundreds of acupuncture points but can’t for the life of her remember how to say the number “10” in Italian?? I guess I mention this because the Cribbage score is 6-3 and the Hollywood score is now 3-3, both in the little Mexican upstart’s favor. Bitter? Me?? No. Sono Americana- the gold awaits.
(I wrote the last paragraph last night but this morning over breakfast I “skunked” the upstart with my brilliant play and the new score in Cribbage is 6-5-getting closer to what it should be…

No comments: