Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday USA and please forgive this sinner

July 4, 2008

On this day of our great country’s birthday I must confess. Just a few days ago I had decided that my new land of 3 weeks needed a winner. I thought that if I could help my new country in any way, I would. When do you ever get to see Italians on the podium accepting the Gold? Rarely, if ever. Certainly not in the Summer Olympics, maybe in the winter for skiing. So in a gesture of magnanimity, I said I will become Italian so they could stand tall, too. Their goal of the Gold depended on me.

But over the last few days, I began to have serious doubts. Little Uzbekistan was making a comeback and I was having pangs of guilt. The Italians always chose the wrong side, didn’t they? In my limited knowledge of Italian history (which consists of World War ll and…well that’s about it) I believe they are always wrong while the USA is always right-give or take a few wars and coups in the last half of the 20th century. So what was I thinking? Aligning myself with not only losers, but political scoundrels as well. When little Uzbekistan, on 4th of July eve no less, took over Italy in both Cribbage and in Hollywood I knew that I needed to ask for forgiveness. While Rachel was at church meditating on her father, I was there begging for John Hancock’s and those other old white guys’ forgiveness and acknowledgement of the sacrifices they made in order for the USA to be number 1 in everything. And I had thrown it all away in a gesture of Catholic martyrdom.

Well as of today I’m back, having been forgiven in a Catholic Church, no less. We know the good old USA takes in the tired, the wretched, the poor (just not those damn folks south of the border but hey) and now Jesus, too has given his OK. So I am humbled and grateful for a second chance. I will not let my people down again. Today is a new day, let the games begin.

Ahhhh, help me! I am travelling/living with her 24/7; she’s gone off her rocker! Too much Italian sun…..

Cribbage: 12-11 Hollywood: 24-22 Uzbekistan ahead in both! (But not for long).

No comments: