Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Road Trip....

Since Gabriella and Henry have a car, we have been able to take a few drives around the area. We started out attempting to head south down toward a picturesque town named Acqua Terme. But, with all those roundabouts and yield signs pointing this way and that, we ended up going north and decided to visit a little town called Casale Monferrato.

In the distance is a major landmark, Torre Civica. This brick tower, square shape and about 60 meters high, dates from the eleventh century. It suffered severe fire damage in April 1504 when a festival to celebrate the peace between Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian I and King Louis XII of France got out of hand. It was rebuilt some years later and the clock tower was added. Like all of this region, the history dates back very far to before the Romans...it always boggles my mind.

They have these clever signs all over, in different shapes depending upon the shop.
Gabriella is a landscaper and she spied this courtyard as we were walking by. It has an amazingly huge web of grape vines running throughout.
Posted by Picasa
More walking and exploring...I never can get enough of doors.
The next two pictures are a study in similarities and contrast. Both have long beards but.....
One is keeping a list and checking it twice...(I AM SORRY; I couldn't resist!)
Unfortunately, I didn't catch her name...I'm guessing she is one of the St. Catherine's. She suffers with a big sword in her heart.
Posted by Picasa
Kim, Henry and Gabriella decided to take an afternoon break and have coffee and hot chocolate. I decided to keep exploring a bit and wandered to the duomo of La Cattedrale di Sant'Evasio. In the third century A.D., Saint Evasio, the patron saint of the city, was martyred and beheaded in the courtyard.

The building is in a Romanesque Lombard style and was consecrated in 1107.
Many chapels abound within the cathedral.
The hanging crucifix, from the 12th century, is made of wood and covered in sheets of silver and copper. It comes from a cathedral from Alessandria and was stolen in 1403
By the time I finished my wanderings, I met up with my companions. This is what Kim was having. She says that she "just ordered a hot chocolate"...
Posted by Picasa
Next stop, Acqua Terme.

No comments: