Monday, August 18, 2008

Meatballs anyone??



Jean left on Saturday but not after a few traumatizing events (and no, I'm not talking about having to get up at 4am to see her "boyfriend" Lazlo Che swimming in the Olympics for Hungary).

The first trauma occurred the night of my birthday during our dinner out to celebrate. Jean was so excited to see something called polpetini* on the menu, telling us that the grandmother of an old friend of hers used to make this wonderful meatball dish that she was sure must be the same thing. So imagine her surprise when after our delightful complementary glasses of champagne as well as a yummy complementary (!)appetizer this incredible "meatball" dish is set before her. The expression on Jean's face was priceless as she was struck dumb by the sight. It's important that you know at this point that Jean, unbelievably, is the only person I know who will not eat seafood of any kind. And on her plate was not an ordinary piece of fish, instead there were many "pieces" with many legs peering out from under her pasta in tomato sauce. I looked at her plate, nervously laughing. In one quick motion, I exchanged my ravioli- sans seafood- and put the offending dish place. Jean's expression changed to gratitude and all was well at our table for three. As for me, there was no sacrifice involved; I couldn't have been happier as I love all food- and it was by far the best octopus I (and Rachel agreed) had ever tasted! In Rachel's words: "incredibly succulent baby octopi prepared in a thick, rich, well seasoned tomato sauce with an underlying hint of spiciness (peperoncino rosso picante)over a bed of spaghetti." I just say molto delizioso!

*Once home we looked up octopus and meatballs. (I may have spelled it incorrectly above). Polpe is octopus (didn't see baby octopus) and meatballs are polpette- easy mistake to make with fortunate consequences for me. Even Rachel who is not fond of tentacles or weird seafood says she will order this dish our next time there.

And for those of you who commented incredulously about our "first time out to dinner," first I have to say that we really have eaten out in the evening, just not in a such a nice place and not after 8:30pm like the Italians. But the main reason for eating at home most of the time is that I live with a wonderful cook who actually enjoys making our meals and shopping in the markets for the ingredients. How lucky am I!!

Trauma #2 will be on our next blog...

No comments: