Monday, August 25, 2008

Rachel has a Boyfriend


I can't remember if Rachel ever blogged about the man who owns the little vegetable and wine shop around the corner from us? She came home one day about a month ago and told me how nice the shop owner had been to her when she was looking at the wine bottles on sale outside his shop. They had a nice long "moment" together- he liked the fact that she was American yet was living in Alessandria for a year and that she was here with a "friend". She came home saying she had a new best friend. Somehow I never met the new best friend but I believe now that she probably kept me away from him so that she could have him all to herself. However when Jean was visiting and obsessing about finding balsamico glaze, we tried all the little stores nearby in our search and so went into his. He seemed to enjoy having all 3 women in his shop, asked us about ourselves and if we had husbands, surprised that none of us were married. He commented that Jean, although American, looked so German, so fit and strong. Despite the fact that it was I who was trying to speak in Italian to him, he only had eyes for Rachel- I swear! Then he gave Rachel a complimentary hot red pepper to try at home. Hmmm HOT red pepper, in retrospect I should have been more suspicious...

And while I could kick myself now, when we passed his store today it was I who insisted we look for wine there. If only I hadn't been so foolish I tell myself now... But today they could contain their passion no longer- no more secret longing between them. I may as well have been invisible for it was obvious they only had eyes for each other. To save face, I should have walked out but it was as if I was frozen to my spot near the door. Angelo (ha!, Il Diablo he will forever be to me) had Rachel in his arms, in such a sustained intense embrace, it makes me blush to write. I could hear him murmuring in Italian something like ooh, my little hot tamale, we could make such beautiful love together. At that, Rachel pretended to tear herself away from his arms and moved toward me. But the damage was done- their love revealed. I fled home locking all the doors behind me while she stood at the window and begged me to forgive her. I shut my fabulous Italian windows and can hear her no longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, I just read about Rachel's boyfriend and I thought it pertinent to tell your other readers that "Angelo" had 2 big pictures hanging in the back of his store-one of the Pope and the other of Mother Theresa. After mentioning this to Rachel, she did a good rendition of M.T. at home, framing her face with her towel after coming out of the shower.
I suspect that Angelo thought M.T. had been reincarnated (despite being catholic) but was no longer a nun and felt it was up to him to introduce her to the pleasures of "amore". So, I tend to think this is just the beginning of something BIG!
-Jean