Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Coat...

Posted by Picasa


Since winter arrived in Alessandria, Rita has been dubious about my leather jacket and it's warmth factor. She often comments that I never look warm enough and I've tried to tell her that I dress in layers and actually have been fine. Well, when she learned that I'd be going to both Vienna and Amsterdam, that was it; she insisted that I take a warmer coat and she let me know that she had one that I could borrow.

Well, I dropped by and this beauty is what she pulled out of her closet for me. I so burst out laughing but I don't think she really understood my humor and why I thought it was so funny. She was very clear to tell me that it's a loan and that she expected to get it back. " Ah, si, capisco", I understand, of course. I told her that if I were in America I'd be afraid that someone would throw red pain at me. I dutifully brought home the coat feeling quite torn; I didn't want to insult her and not take her coat but at the same time...it's not exactly me.

The story continues. The next morning she dropped by to let me know that a store down the street is selling jackets for 15 Euro and maybe I'd like to go look at them. Hmmmm, I wondered; is she getting a bit nervous about my (HER) coat? Then yesterday, I was lucky enough to have dinner at her daughters house (Stephania) and all of a sudden Stephania appeared with 2 winter jackets for me to try on. Again, I dutifully tried them on and they let me know which one they thought I should take/borrow. Now, the thing is, the jacket they recommended is a bit too small and tight for me and only has one front button to seal it (partially) closed. It is made of down however, goes to my knees, and is warm. But now I'm thinking of that store down the street.

When lunch/dinner was over Rita marched over with me to the apartment and I grabbed the fur coat and carried it back over to her apartment where I asked her if she'd mind taking a picture before she wrapped it away. Oh, before I forget, I must add that it really was warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god Rachel I almost fell to the floor laughing. Why that coat was SOOOOOOOOO YOU!!! Wish I could have taken you out to dinner in it but alas I'm snowbound north of Boston in the wonderful Italian suede coat Rita GAVE me (which has actually kept me quite warm despite being only slightly more my style). What a wonderful heart she has for us...we are 2 very lucky women to have such an incredible family of neighbors.