Monday, January 26, 2009

A Street Walker....

Jean let me know that today she had something to attend to tonight called "wörk" and consequently she needed to sleep the afternoon away to prepare for the "wörk" thing. No better time to take a walk and see what I might discover....

It was clear but a bit breezy and cold. Rita will be happy to know that I was dressed warmly.
Many clever places to put down one's graffiti...

These gentlemen were preparing for some type of race but what kind I never discovered because they stood around for too long and I needed to move on.
If you stand at a certain angle, it looks paper thin.
A small Synagogue...
Wandering and snapping a picture of what happens to catch my eye...

Johannes Gutenberg 1398 - 02/03/1468. Occupation: goldsmith, engraver, inventor. Best known for a big Bible project.

Good advice.

I really like the round aspect of the building architecture.

This is the entry to a very old cloistered convent. The last time when Kim and I were here, it was closed. Today I crept in, took a peek and shot the next picture. I didn't want anyone to see me. Why? I don't know.
Perhaps I was having a premonition because when I came out I saw this sign across the courtyard.


Kärntner Srasse: Vienna's main street. It is a very old street, mentioned as early as 1257. At that time it already was established as a main route to Venice and Trieste. It now is a pedestrian zone and a favorite promenade for Viennese and tourists alike.



The window above and to the right of the of the 'U' is the window washer in the previous picture. Behind is the steeple of St. Stephen's Cathedral. Whew, that steeple is a great and necessary landmark for the person who just wanders the many curvy streets without paying too much attention...

Of course I had to go into St. Stephen's and light a couple of candles. To the right of the candles is a Madonna painting from Pötsch, Hungary. The painting became famous in the 17th century when many witnesses spread the story that real tears poured down the cheeks of the Virgin. Of course, the moisture on the painting has been examined by those who do such things and found to have the same consistency as human tears. It was brought to Vienna and now people pray to this image to request a cure for the sick. Can't hurt to ask....

And with that, it was time to make my way home.

No comments: